Allow users to locate and see all accessible cards created by an author

Related products: Navigation and Search User Experience

My users have asked to be able to find all cards from a specific user from the main search.  There are only two filters from the main search today, are more on the roadmap?

Hi Scott, 

PM for search and discovery here. More filters for the search results page are indeed on the horizon, including a filter for author which will cover the “created” option you mention. We also have several sort options coming to the results page--sort by created date and last updated date. You can learn more about this work (it includes other things!) on this post.

For the updated and approved options you mention, is that in relation to who has taken those actions? I.e. filters for who has verified a card or updated a card? If so, could you share a little more about how that would be helpful to your team? I haven’t heard those come up in conversations related to knowledge consumers who are primarily reading cards to find answers to questions or general information. Those are things that come up from people in admin type roles for which we recommend card manager. 

Thanks,

Laura

I believe this came about because they were looking for additional SMEs who had authored cards.  I have shown them this thread and hope to have the team comment

Hi Laura,

To add some additional context, we’ve had some instances where users have mentioned they contributed knowledge via Guru Cards that cuts across different Boards, Collections, etc, and so it would be helpful to be able to review all the Cards contributed by that specific user.  I believe this is possible via Card Manager but this isn’t an SME review/approval use case alone.  In the organization there are often people whom become associated with specific knowledge, and so there is also a use case for any user to be able to search for and search within only the Cards authored by that ‘guru’, versus conducting keyword-based searches across all cards that will include results authored by users not as knowledgable in the subject area as the guru of interest, and so potentially less valuable, even if validated for accuracy by the SME team. Hope this helps.

Thanks for bringing in more members of your team @Scott Young!!

@Adam Smye-Rumsby, thanks for the additional detail, it makes a lot of sense that someone might be looking for content by an author who is known to be an expert on certain topics. If we were to only offer a filter in search for ‘author’ would that cover most of your team’s needs? It seems like filtering by verifier wouldn’t be of use? Also, knowing a little more about what your team is doing leads me to a few more questions, if you are up for them 😀:

• Does your team sometimes want to be able to find content by a specific author without having to include search terms? I’m wondering if there are times when people are thinking of an author and wanting to find their content, without having to submit search terms first (i.e. is this perhaps a little different from a “normal” search)?
  • Would being able to get notifications about new or updated content from a specific author be of use to your team? (We have a post related to subscribing to get content updates, but not one for following an author.) I could see if the above is true because the goal was really to get a view of a specific person’s content, that something like this might be an easier way to keep up with an SME’s content. 

Thank you both for your thoughts!

Thanks Laura for the opportunity to elaborate on these:

• “If we were to only offer a filter in search for ‘author’ would that cover most of your team’s needs? It seems like filtering by verifier wouldn’t be of use?”
    • Yes, I think the ‘author’ filter would be most relevant and meet the majority of the need. I don’t see a strong need for filtering by verifier yet.
  • “Does your team sometimes want to be able to find content by a specific author without having to include search terms?”
    • Yes, absolutely.  There are experts whose expertise cuts across multiple Boards, Collections, etc., so it could be faster to just display all of a particular author’s cards, rather than have to view all the Collections and Boards where that author may have contributed Cards, or for the user to perform a keyword search that could include Cards from other authors.  The other benefit of an approach that doesn’t require search terms, is a user may serendipitously discover additional Cards by that author that might not be relevant for the immediate task, but may be worth bookmarking for future reference.
  • “Would being able to get notifications about new or updated content from a specific author be of use to your team?”
    • Yes, I can see value in this.  I can imagine that if I’m viewing all content for a particular author, there might be a feature presented that allows me to also follow that author going forward.

Of course, I’m very happy to learn what would be helpful to your team (and hopefully others too). 

For the first item, that’s great, I’m glad our in progress work covers this :)

Since the primary need of the original comment here is already going, would it be okay if I reframed this post to be about the ability to search for and discover content by author? I can adjust the title and leave a note for anyone else who comes across it. You’re not the only ones to have mentioned this so it’d be great to have a place to keep track of use cases and interest. 

Thanks!

Hi @Adam Smye-Rumsby and @Scott Young

To help users be able to find content based on who created it, in addition to the filter for “author” that was added to search a few months ago, we are in the midst of work that will allow you to follow an author to get notifications when that person publishes new cards that you can access. As part of this work you’ll be able to visit a profile for an author and see all of the cards they’ve created (that you can access) to help you decide if you’d like to follow them. Based on that, I’ll set this to “scheduled” 🎉.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

OpenScheduled

Hi everyone, 

As you might have noticed, last week we released the ability to follow an author to get notifications when an author publishes a card the follower can access. As part of that work we created a user profile that shows all of the cards the author has published. We’re now working to improve user profiles and add the ability to search for people in the main search experience. Look out for updates on those two projects early in the new year. Happy Holidays!

Hi @Adam Smye-Rumsby  & @Scott Young

With yesterday’s release of updated employee profile functionality which included the ability to search for someone from the main search bar, I’m going to consider this feedback complete. We hope this helps and would love to know if there are other things you’d like to see in this area. Thanks! 

ScheduledComplete