Easier way to switch between bulleted text and paragraph text

Related products: Card Creation

Assume you have a bulleted or a numbered list in card editor:

• item 1
  • item 2
  • item 3

Assume you decided that you want to add a paragraph or several paragraphs in the middle of the list. If you try to put the cursor between the elements and hit Enter 2 times, unlike in the editor in this forum, or in MS Word, you will just get 2 empty elements in the list rather than split the list into 2:

• item 1
  • item 2
  •  
  •  
  • item 3

If you just hit the shortcut or press the list button, the whole list will turn to a regular paragraph, that’s also not what I want.

Finally, there is an option to press Shift-Enter to add a new line between the elements of the list, which is also not what I wanted - I need a real paragraph.

For now I resort to entering the desired paragraphs after the list, then cut the part of the list and paste it after the additional paragraph/paragraphs.

Hi @Michael Genenko, try using shift to start a new row without bullets or numbering, write out or add your content, and and then enter again to continue the list or bullets.

A similar question was asked here around inserting other media in between bullets or numbering.

Oops, I just saw you don’t want to use shift enter.  So that’s out :(

For the paragraph in between numbering or bulleting, is it important to maintain indentation with the list?

Caroline from Technical Support here :wave: thanks @Amelia Altstadt  for jumping in to help. @Michael Genenko, wanted to follow up on our conversation in Intercom to close the loop here! 

• You can break up a list of bullets with a paragraph block by hitting enter twice after the bullet you want to see the break after. 
  • You can also use the shift+enter method to maintain the bulleted text block, but include a line without a bullet. 

I think you raised really valuable feedback about making the process of switching between bullets and paragraph text blocks easier so thank you for that! Because of that I’ll go ahead and re-title this post to reflect that feedback - thanks again for sharing. :blush:

Hi Caroline, I know about existing capabilities of lists in editor and they do not fit my needs. I would like to see something like that:

While in Guru editor, I can change only the whole list from bullet to number or vice versa. I would like to change type of list only for indented part of the list, and not for the whole list. 

Hi Caroline, I know about existing capabilities of lists in editor and they do not fit my needs. I would like to see something like that:

While in Guru editor, I can change only the whole list from bullet to number or vice versa. I would like to change type of list only for indented part of the list, and not for the whole list. 

This is exactly what we need too!

In our situation the instructions for our employees are very difficult to read without having the indents in bullit form. We work with decision trees where we make references like: “if this is the case, go to step 4.". But our numbered lists go so far so they start numbering again, this results in employees making mistakes. I have an example right here. Don't mind the language haha, this is Dutch: 

@Caroline Krueger Do you know if it is possible to switch between the bullits list and numbered list?

Looking forward to your reply!

Hey @Michael Genenko  and @Laura Frencken 👋 Thanks so much for sharing these examples.

I have some exciting news to share! 🎉 As discussed in this recent post, our team has been hard at work completing a full-scale rewrite of our editor and we are now at the point where we are able to test the functionality internally. I can confirm that upon the completion of our editor update, we will be able to support this action (sharing a screenshot below!). There is still more work to be done, and we don’t have an exact timeframe to share for when this will be released quite yet, but this is coming soon. 😁

You can follow along with the progress of our editor rewrite in the Product Updates section of the Community. Please let me know if you have other questions! 

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

Hi @Michael Genenko, @John McKoll - he/him, @Katya Stepanova, and @Laura Frencken

As Caroline shared a little while ago, were able to address this gap with the new editor we’re beginning to release. As such I’ll mark this as ‘scheduled.’ You can follow along with our phased release for the new editor by subscribing to our current Product Update for the project. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us!

OpenScheduled

Guru’s new Card editor, which includes support for mixed numbered and bulleted lists and easier toggling of text formatting (check out these keyboard shortcuts!), has now shipped to all Guru teams and users.

Thanks to everyone who showed their support for this feature request!

ScheduledComplete