When you archive a Card, see where it is linked in other Cards

Related products: Card Creation

It would be nice to know that which cards have broken links to Guru cards and/or if you could see a list of cards affected when you archive a card.

Great suggestion, thanks @cderupe @bwayne and @elyse

That actually triggered this ask! Haha

Coincidence? We are just chatting about the very same thing!

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

Hey there! I’m Steph from the Guru PM team! 

Thanks for sharing and voting on this awesome feedback! We don’t currently have plans to execute this, but I would love to continue to gather more feedback so we can help determine prioritization in the future! A few questions for the group:

• I notice a lot of this feedback for knowing linked cards is tied to archiving. Would you also see value in being able to access a list of linked cards outside of that archiving event? For example: making that information accessible on the details tab of the card.
  • What is your view of how “broken” card links might impact verification? If a card that is linked on another is no longer accessible, would you like the card to go unverified so the owner is notified and can edit?

I really need this! A card on any topic will have links to cards that have:

• certain team’s specific knowledge on the topic
  • background knowledge on the topic
  • actionable directions for responding to questions on the topic.

We need all of these different cards because we want to keep each card short and intended for a specific audience / case. And that’s in line with what Guru says to do. But if we change a title, change permissions, or archive a card, we are breaking the links in other cards and don’t get ANY alert that those cards are now inaccurate. 

I don’t think that unverifying the card with red/broken links is the right solution, because sometimes we’re just changing permissions so it is red for some people but not all. Other applications have “linkback” tags that show you a list of other items that contain a link to that item. Even if we could see this in Card Manager and not the card itself, it would make a huge difference.

Right now, this is my workaround: 

When someone archives or changes permissions on a card, they have to tell me (with a ping in Slack. I cry.) Then, I go into Guru and UNDO what they just did, so that the links in any impacted card turn green again. Then, I search for that title in Guru and go through every single card that appears in search, looking for those green links to the card. I make my edits. Then, I go back to the original card and REDO the steps the original editor did in the first place. 

Oh also, In the two collections that are most impacted by this, we have 2,000 cards total. So combing through them for broken links is just not a good use of our time. As it is, people just unverify or ping the owner if they see a red link, but that means the content is identified as dated at the moment someone actually needs it.

YES THIS

I also really really need this feature! it is frustrating not being able to track when I archive card where it is hyperlinked on other Guru cards. Leads to a poor user experience that I only find out if someone reports it, which isn’t common. Would be great for an Admin to have visibility into this and address it proactively, just like the Duplicate Detection feature

@Steph Kley 

Today, we currently use the API to export all Cards that includeinvalid guru card” in the content. It’d be great to have visibility on linked Cards without having to use the API. Here are the answers to the questions you asked:

Q: Would you also see value in being able to access a list of linked cards outside of that archiving event? For example: making that information accessible on the details tab of the card.

A: Yes. I think it’d be great to be able to open a Card’s Details (or new tab) to see all Cards that are linking/linked to the Card. Being able to access a filter/list from the Card Manager would also be helpful. Today, we’re only able to find Cards with broken links through using the API and exporting Cards that include keywords .

Q: What is your view of how “broken” card links might impact verification? If a card that is linked on another is no longer accessible, would you like the card to go unverified so the owner is notified and can edit?

A: Yes, automatically unverifying linked Cards would be super helpful along with a message/banner at the top indicating why the Card was unverified (included an image of the current banner that shows up when a card is unverified) Today, it indicates if someone made changes so including a call out for “A linked Guru card was archived” would be necessary. 

Thank you all so much for these additional insights - keep them coming!!

Our team is reading through your feedback and we will brainstorm how we can tackle some of this friction with linked cards. I don’t have a timeline that we’re planning to tackle this yet, but I’m going to move this feedback to “accepted” as I agree that we should address when we have the resources to do so! We’ll keep you updated when we have more information there. Thanks!!

Updated idea statusOpenAccepted

Updated idea statusAcceptedScheduled

Hey all! Thank you for the insights into your workflows and painpoints here! I’m excited to let you know that we are moving this work from “accepted” to “scheduled” status. We plan to add information to the card details so you will be able to easily see when an individual card is linked in other Guru cards.

We plan to start building this within the next quarter and we will provide an update when we have a better estimate on when this functionality will be available to you. Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime!

Updated idea statusScheduledComplete

Hey everyone, good news! We have added a field to the details tab on a Guru Card to let you know how many other Cards link to a given Card. While not directly in the archive flow, this update should give you more visibility into how a Card is referenced throughout your knowledge base so you can take that into account before archiving. You can also use this functionality independent of archiving to understand the way information spreads across your knowledge base! You’ll be able to see Cards that link to any given Card, whether you’re the author of that Card or not. Learn more in the product update post.

Let us know if this addresses your needs for archiving. In the meantime, I’ve updated the status of this item from ‘Scheduled’ to ‘Complete’. Thanks for this feedback!

Hey @Chandler Sopko, thanks for the update!  Our team is stoked about this feature - it will help us tremendously with card maintenance. 👌

One note/question - it seems to only work in the web app and not the Chrome extension. Is this intentional? Will we see this launch in the Extension?

Thank you!

Issue resolved! I see it in the extension now. YYESSSSSSSSSSSS! 😁