Solved

Can we sync specific parts of Confluence?

Userlevel 1
I just read into the Confluence knowledge synch, and it says "Guru's Confluence Sync will sync the entire Space from Confluence." Is there a possibility to limit the synch to specific pages/parts of Confluence?
icon

Best answer by Siobhan 25 March 2021, 16:57

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
not a confluence user, @chrissy @katie.vermilyea @siobhan would y'all know?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm not either.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@karolin.zosgornik, I think this is precisely why we stopped exploring it, as it would require us to create two Spaces to house sync'd vs. "Not ready to Sync" data, which wouldn't be helpful for us.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
But I honestly need to get an engineering from our org who understands that better then me to review that, as they typically are the :brain: on that subject vs. myself.
Userlevel 1
same - I'm only asking the question for our MarTech team 😂
Userlevel 1
they are using confluence and woudl update content there instead of in Guru (lock-in effect and too high switching costs)
but we were still looking for a version where both tools could work together
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Listen, I totally get the confluence piece--in some ways, the layout and editing are far easier that Guru (sorry guys!) and it gives more flexibility from an Eng perspective. I guess the question I come back to is what are they keeping there and who needs to see it? You can always make a synced collection private to select employees, which may help ease the resistance of pulling it in?
Userlevel 1
the private collection is a good idea - maybe that will already help
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
we are using the Confluence to Guru pull (wish it was a sync), @amanda633 do you know if it's all or nothing?
Userlevel 3
Badge
You can only link an entire space - you have to enter the space identifier.
Userlevel 3
Badge
It will create boards of the top level pages tho so maybe you could do something with board permissions if there's something other people aren't supposed to see?

Late reply but you can limit what is synced by managing the permissions of the account used to power the sync.

We have our space shared with the “sync account” but we have private docs that are internal to the team and we don’t want them on our public Guru collection. That private folder and the pages inside are restricted to the “sync user” so those aren’t synced over.

Still, you will get a single Board with all the pages randomly ordered and without being nested between them. The sync is not useful at all to us in its current state.