Collapse sections within a card

I am embedding a lot of images for my step by step guides, and 101 overview cards.

We want to keep Guru cards bite-sized and digestible but I’m finding that when I write these cards, they can become quite long with lots of scrolling when I include images assuming that the knowledge seeker is a new hire.

Is there any way to collapse sections, or a workaround similar to Toggle Lists in Notion?

Thanks for any feedback!

Alice

Hi Alice! Sounds like you’re doing some great work right now in Guru. You can create collapsible sections by utilizing the markdown feature like this example. A little more complex, but it’s an option!

Create collapsible sections using markdown

1. Create a Markdown block in the Card Editor
  2. Copy the HTML from this template into a markdown block in your own Guru Card, then customize it to get started creating collapsible sections! 🚀

# A collapsible section with markdown

<details>

<summary>Click to expand!</summary>

## Heading

1. A numbered

2. list

* With some

* Sub bullets

</details>

Plain Text

✍️ NOTE

• Make sure you have an empty line after the closing </summary> tag, otherwise the markdown/code blocks won't show correctly.
  • Make sure you have an empty line after the closing </details> tag if you have multiple collapsible sections.

Take a look at this Guru Card with steps. This forum on Github has a lot of great information about creating collapsible sections as well. 

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

HI Callie! Is there a video about this somewhere? I keep making mistakes and can’t get it to work!

I’d like to follow up on this request with asking for a more specific/dedicated Guru Community Card/Resources for Markdown all together.  I am a complete beginner when it comes to Markdown code and trying to find the combinations I need on my own to get what I’m looking for is tedious and a struggle. 

An example of what I mean:

I want to be able to provide a combination of text, headings, bullet points, videos and still images into a single Markdown box that also acts as a drop down.  I’d like to be able to adjust the text size, emphasis (bold/italic etc) and colour.

Like Alice mentioned - although Cards are meant to be bite sized - due to our workflows and processes (for example setting up a specific machine we have) requires numerous steps that cannot be separated/condensed down further than we already have. When you include images and short gif like videos for certain steps the card can become quite long which defeats the purpose. 

I’ve looked through templates but they don’t quite offer what I’m looking for and so would like the ability to be as creative as I need with my own templates and Markdown codes.

A straightforward chart similiar the the Card you linked above but with more codes and combinations would be super helpful!

Thank you

The lack of easy to use collapsible sections is one of the main barriers I’m seeing to wider adoption of Guru in our team and a push towards going back to Confluence. 

I just tried to use this and from what I can tell, there are no formatting options available in the collapsed section, such as color, bold, etc unless it’s done inline. This is a significant barrier to more widespread use. :-( 

Updated idea statusOpenDuplicate
Idea merged into:

All the votes from this idea have been transferred.