How does your team use Confluence and Guru?

Badge
Would love to learn more about other companies that use both Confluence and Guru successfully. We operate both products and are finally evaluating guidelines for what information should be stored where.
• Which teams are operating in each platform?
• What guidelines are there as to where information should be stored? (i.e. product vs. business information)
Some added context:
• Moving completely off Confluence *is not* in consideration
• Only 50% of our org has Guru licenses - an output of our planning is a recommendation re: additional spend for full company licensing.

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I am in a similar boat, 50% of company has Guru, but everyone has Confluence. curious what others have to say - i am trying to move the company off Confluence in 2021
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Hey Alex!
First off: we only use Guru for our Support department for product knowledge + support. Everyone else in the company in other departments are using Confluence but folks tend to use Google Drive more these days.
*TL;DR: Figure out who has access in Guru and use that to determine whether the content can live in Guru or in Confluence. Make sure you link to the Confluence content from within Guru so your Guru users can find it easily in Confluence.*
Content that has to be visible to all departments, or is owned by someone outside of the support department lives on Confluence, and I provide a link to that specific wiki page from within Guru where applicable.
This makes it so that Support never has to deal with searching in Confluence (which was one of the main reasons why we moved our knowledge to Guru), and makes it easy for stakeholders outside of Support to update their content without needing a Guru license (since they wouldn't be utilizing Guru for anything else).
Hope that helps you out!
Badge
Helpful @bwayne! We take a similar approach.
Waiting to pull the trigger on syncing Confluence as Knowledge Source for Guru but I see ourselves using that functionality at some point. Currently we are also using the "linking" method for important info stored in Confluence
@alex.armstead just FYI we set up a Confluence Sync demo in the community instance, if it's helpful at all to see it in action: https://app.getguru.com/collections/u8hij/Confluence-Sync-DEMO
Userlevel 4
Awesome discussion here! @alex.armstead I'm curious which teams currently have Guru licenses, and which don't?
Userlevel 4
@kfretz wondering the same for your team?
Badge
@chrisanderson - thanks for the demo!
@ssundell - right now we are limiting licenses to customer facing teams that need the "behind the scenes" knowledge.
We have a strong stance of using our public knowledge base the primary repository for all knowledge. Only high-tech troubleshooting details and quirks are documented in Guru. As such, CSMs can suffice with just using support.clever.com
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@ssundell teams on Guru include Customer Support, Sales, Marketing, Partnerships, Customer Success. My Legal and Compliance teams are testing out Guru this month and it's looking positive.
My People Ops (HR), IT, Engineering and Product teams are the biggest Confluence users. Everyone else hates searching through it so that's why we ended up going to Guru for the customer facing teams.
Userlevel 4
Awesome, thanks for sharing Alex and Kristin! One of the most common ways we see engineering/product sharing knowledge in Guru is to support product enablement, especially in terms of product FAQs or details about features. Across companies (and often driven by people ops and IT) many teams use Guru to support onboarding and internal communications.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Following this thread, as I'm about to dive into how to create a Confluence and an SFDC sync