Is it possible to tag an individual within a Card?

• 8 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi all, two questions for the group. I am wondering if it's possible to tag an individual within a card. So instead of in the comment section when you do "@ so and so" it would be within the card content itself? Let me know!
My second question is more general. We are trying to figure out the best way to index our collection of boards/cards. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they tackled this? I am wondering if the best bet is to link Guru cards into one overall card, but that seems as though it will get tough to manage as the knowledge base grows with many contributors, so wondering if anyone had some other ideas. Thank you!!

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi Caroline, inline commenting is not yet supported, but the Guru team is working that way and has recently made several incremental improvements in that direction.:crossed_fingers:!
For your second question, can you share a few more details? Why do you need to create an additional structure for the boards? Separating content by collection/board/section should provide a nice schema as long as there's someone coming behind your content creators and enforcing a clear organizational standard.
Hey @cfiore 👋 I'd love to hear a bit more about your use case(s) for @messaging someone in a Card vs. comment. Can you share more? And +1 on Dillon's questions re: organizing Cards via Collections, Boards, Board Groups, and Sections...I'm curious about how/when this organizational structure isn't working for you.
Userlevel 2
Hi guys, thank you both for getting back to me!
It's great to hear Guru may be working on inline comments. To answer your question @chrisanderson , our Guru cards are fairly long and can be pretty in depth so when we comment and tag people now we usually have to say 'Re: some text from the card..." and then ask a question. We were thinking it may be more helpful to just chatter within the card at the text in question and say "hey @ so and so what does this mean or can you elaborate more?".
As for your and @dillon questions on organizing Collections, Board Groups, etc. I started about two months ago and was tasked with re-organizing our entire Guru structure. During that process I suggested using multiple Collections to make the content structure more clear. However, I was told by a couple of team leads that they didn't want multiple collections and that they had tried it but were unsuccessful because cards can't be placed on multiple collections easily. Essentially the individuals making the cards really didn't like not being able to make one card and tying it back to multiple collections. It took too long for them to make multiple copies of one card for different spots. So as a result I'm working on one collection that has multiple board groups with multiple sub boards. It's working okay so far but with more content coming in every day the team leads are curious how we could make an index of sorts. I have a card with general structure and how to navigate our Guru (kind of like a what you'll find and where) but we were wonder if there was anything more we could be doing
Thanks!
I'd like to add a use case for in-line commenting: if a subject-matter expert leaves the company or changes their name, they may be referenced a ton of places in Guru cards with varying formats/names/etc.
If the norm is to use a @ tag for all personal references in a card, it's much easier to search for and update going forward. Plus, that SME has an easy way of tracking where they're specifically referenced.

I'd like to add a use case for in-line commenting: if a subject-matter expert leaves the company or changes their name, they may be referenced a ton of places in Guru cards with varying formats/names/etc.
If the norm is to use a @ tag for all personal references in a card, it's much easier to search for and update going forward. Plus, that SME has an easy way of tracking where they're specifically referenced.

Can this be folded into this thread as well for combined upvoting?