Question

Light Users and "All Members" group - does this mean that everyone can now see whatever Light Users have access to?

• 7 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

We just got this feature the other day and I’m very excited about it. 

However, I’m a bit confused by “All Members”. 

If I add the group “All Members” to a Collection, does this mean that every Core User now also has access to that Collection? 

That’s not what I would expect but I am not sure how that works. 

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Siobhan Hyser  Hey there! Awesome to hear you’re leveraging Light Users :heart_eyes:  Yes, the “All Members” group is everybody on your Guru team, which is both Core users and Light users. Light Users can only belong to the “All Members” Group as Read-Only users. 

You can learn a bit more about the differences between Core and Light users on our Help Center here

​​​​​​​Can you share a bit more about what you were expecting instead? 

Let us know if you have any other questions, happy to chat :)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hey @June Zhang  thanks for the reply! :relaxed:

I saw that on the Help Center but I am still a bit confused. 

As an example, I would expect there that only the Light Users and Technical Support Team have access to the Collection. However, if All Members means that everyone - all Core Users and Lights Users - now have access, regardless of their other Group membership - that’s not what I want to happen at all. 

In the screenshot below, does this mean that everyone who’s a user of our Guru can now see this Collection even if they’re not in the Technical Support Team? Because that is not at all what I’d want or expect.

Being able to add a Light User to specific Groups would mean that people exploring Guru for the first time are not overwhelmed by the many, many Collections. As we try to spread the word about how awesome Guru is to everyone, we’d love to have more people take a peek and poke around. However, if the only way to do that is to have everyone be a paid user who may log in one time and then not again for a few weeks, that’s not cost effective or practical. 

I’ve heard on Deep Dive calls where some companies have hundreds of Collections - I’m familiar with Guru but if logged in and saw that one day as a new user, I’d close the tab and not look back. 

Hope this helps! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for elaborating @Siobhan Hyser ! 

By nature, Light Users can only belong to the All Members group and they can’t be provisioned to specific Groups. In your screenshot, All Members (Light and Core users) will have access to that Collection.

Even if your team does have lots of Collections, do Light Users need to see all content on your team? Is there a Collection specifically for company-wide knowledge that your Light Users could benefit from? That way, they can get a peek into Guru and the content that’s relevant to them without seeing everything. I agree that you don’t want to overwhelm new users with so much content right when they jump into Guru.