Question

What are your learnings, insights and recommendations on setting up GURU for a multi-national matrix organisation

• 30 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi fellow GURU-Champs,

As we are expanding our company overseas, we are setting up all our systems for the multi-national setup. 

Following context / situation I am trying to sort out:

1. We are setting up our US Business Unit at the moment, global hub sits within the EU

2. We will be able to have a data exchange between Germany and the US BU

3. And we’d like to use one central GURU platform

4. We’ve set up the GURU collections based on functional teams (which will collaborate within the matrix) 

Questions I’d like to find an answer for:

1. Do you have best practices for the collection setup for different Business Units? Our current structure mirrors the functional team setups. However, the team setup itself in the US will be different to the EU team, and therefore, a 1:1 integration seems not to be the perfect go-to-solution.

2. What are your recommendations in regard of access level settings?

3. What are your recommendations in regard of tag conventions? Or naming conventions?

I really appreciate your input and insights on how you tackled this question. 

Best, Stefan 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Stefan Fodermeyer ! Thank you for posting, it sounds like you are in a very exciting phase of your Guru journey.

I highly recommend connecting with @David Parle and @Joaquin Felix Dalla Via. They shared their story at a recent Deep Dive and have tackled this for Stuart and their teams that are distributed across Europe. Some takeaways I learned from them: 

• Re: ‘the team setup itself in the US will be different to the EU team, and therefore, a 1:1 integration seems not to be the perfect go-to-solution.”  - Yes, that is true. There will likely be tweaks depending on the direct audiences needs, but guiding principals can still be embraced. Having a basic structure or template that you can use as a foundation will make the process more manageable. 

Community posts and help center articles for permissions / tagging: 

How to build a tagging structure

Also, if you are going to be creating content in multiple languages, this is a great post to reference:

Hi @David Parle and @Joaquin Felix Dalla Via - great to e-meet. I tend to keep the existing collection structure, and build out Boards within those Collections to designate if information is only relevant to a certain country. What is your take on this? Any watch-outs I should be aware of?