How to restore all archived cards AND to place back in designated folders?

• 29 November 2023
  • 8 replies

Hello- seeking Help from Guru team as the “contact Guru support” button is not working. 

We have another incident where someone accidentally archived ALL cards vs their own. I can see over 5,000 cards archive but I only want to restore the ones archived within the past couple of hours or by the person who has archived them all. When I tried to restore all cards from one collection, it restored them but did not go in their designated folders.

Can someone please assist me asap?

Thanks! 

Marie Frei 4 months ago

Hey everyone! 👋 I’m reaching back out here to announce we’ve released a change in behavior with the restoration of archived Cards. Cards will now be restored to the folder(s) they once lived in. If a folder is no longer available (for example, the folder was deleted after the Card was archived), the restored Card will default to the Collection. Technical Support continues to be available as a resource regarding any large-scale restore issues like the one raised here.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Not sure if anything has changed, but mid-2022 I asked the same thing (if Guru could help provide me with info about the folder organization when I was trying to restore a bunch of archived cards in a collection), but they weren’t able to provide that info. Have you recently exported from the card manager for that collection where you have a .csv? That provides some folder information. 

Thanks Lynn. I can only export the cards that are outside of archived. I did this for the collection I restored but it does not show them in folders but still only the collection. :( 

Additionally, is there a way to see a list of folders in a collection? So I can start moving content back to where it was…? 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes, you would need to find a recent export of the collection before they got archived. Or see if someone else did (hard to say how much others export - in our case I do it quite often). 

Ah okay, good shout! It’s a starting point I guess. Thank you! It’s annoying anyone even authors have the ability to archive all. It’s an easy mistake! 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I believe your folder structure should still be intact in the collection (usually archiving the cards doesn’t do anything to the folders), so not ideal but you could still see the names and hierarchy. If you do a content export (lefthand nav menu > settings > content export >choose collection), then it will give you access to a folder of .yaml files of Guru folders (you can open to see the folder names). Seems like there should be a better way, but I can’t think of any ha. 

And yes, as a knowledge manager, I would love for the Author role to have less access too (creating, deleting tags, archiving, etc.) I think Guru has received some feedback about this, so there might be some product feedback to upvote.

Userlevel 2

Hey @Maddie Turk, @Lynn Miller, and everyone, 👋

Maddie has already done this for this specific instance, but in case anyone comes across this article in the future, please write into our Technical Support team (support@getguru.com) if you run into a similar situation where you need to restore lots of Cards to their original folders.

We hear you on the pains here! I’ve submitted it as feedback internally and we’ll be considering potential enhancements and adjustments in the product to reduce the pain. But I recommend creating a feedback post here in the community so others can add to the groundswell of support as I currently don’t see a feedback post that already reflects this need.

Thank you!

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey everyone! 👋 I’m reaching back out here to announce we’ve released a change in behavior with the restoration of archived Cards. Cards will now be restored to the folder(s) they once lived in. If a folder is no longer available (for example, the folder was deleted after the Card was archived), the restored Card will default to the Collection. Technical Support continues to be available as a resource regarding any large-scale restore issues like the one raised here.