How can I exclude who receives a Knowledge Alert?

• 22 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hello. I was wondering if there is a way to change a specific member of a collection status to something else without having to do it for the other members of the collection. For example, our CEO is a member of the CX collection but when I send knowledge alerts, I don't want them to receive those alerts. I know in order to receive those alerts you have to be an "Author" of that collection, so I want to change their status to something different without having to remove them from the collection. Thank you :slightlysmilingface:

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

You could make a group just for them that would have Read Only perms on that collection. I think they can still comment on the cards tho. If they want to have Author perms but not receive KA's I'm not sure what to do there.

You have to choose the Group when sending a KA so that should work to make the CEO in their own group. They could still retain Author perms then 😃

I know that having more custom roles was something talked about on the roadmap call tho! @chrisanderson fyi for that perhaps?

Userlevel 2
Badge
Thank you soo much! Let me give this a try. So I should start by putting them in a group that has Read-Only permissions. This was very helpful. I will let you know how it goes :slightlysmilingface:
Userlevel 3
Badge
The permissions don't matter. You need a Group that does not include the CEO that has access to the Collection of some kind. Then when you send the KA you choose the other Group to send it to. Sorry for the confusing first comment 😅
Userlevel 2
Badge
@siobhan No apology needed. You were definitely helpful 🤗

Great question @laquize, and thanks for your helpful tips @siobhan! A couple of clarifications just in case anything is fuzzy:
• To send a knowledge alert (KA) you have to be the author of the Card, but any user (regardless of role) can receive a KA as long as
a.) they're in the Group you send the KA to, and
b.) the Group has access to the Collection where the Card lives (you won't even see Groups that do not have Collection access in the option list though)

• When you send a KA to a Group, all members of that Group will receive it. I agree with the above tip to create some sort of "non-KA" Group that you can move your CEO into (and out of the Group that will receive KAs).

Hope this helps! Also, for anyone curious, here's a Help Center article all about KAs which links to a previous Deep Dive we hosted on KAs :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2

I found it super helpful to go through and make leveled out groups based on company level in Guru, we also have leveled out collections based on company level as well so if we need to send KA's to managers only we can.

Just to chime in, I’d like to use Knowledge Alerts to alert specific users, rather than groups - feels like we need an Exclude/Include This User option maybe! :D

e.g usually I’d spam the whole of a team, but maybe in this case I want 2 SMEs to review it first and alert them, before alerting the entire team about it.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Charshy Nash Thanks for your feedback! Luckily, this idea is reflected in our Product Feedback category here:grinning:

You can navigate into this Community post, upvote the idea, discuss workaround solutions, and subscribe to future updates. Our product management team is actively engaged in our Community and they'll share any changes as we make progress on this request.