Ability to revert extension UI changes

• 11 April 2023
  • 7 replies

We noticed the browser extension UI was updated today that gives visual priority to tags over card content when using the extension in Chrome. Given how we have configured our instance, tags are not as important as a content preview. Historically our team was able to see the first few lines of a card without hovering over the card - now they are not able to see any card content until they hover over a card (which shows the top six lines). 

There have been a few UI changes over the last few months (most of which have caught us off guard). Are there plans to release these with more notice or perhaps on a more set cadence? To take it even further is there a means of disabling/reverting? Change management is a big part of what we do and as our product changes, managing changes for the tools that help us do that becomes increasingly challenging.

7 replies

Hi @Tyler my name is Jake Sauer. I’m the product designer who helped work on these extension updates. First of all, I appreciate your candid feedback and willingness to share in the community. It’s always helpful for us to keep a pulse on how customers are reacting to the changes we make, so thank you.

As far as I’m aware there was never the ability to see a card preview in the extension (without hovering over the card). Is there any chance you have a screenshot or anything that could help me better understand what you were previously seeing? If in fact this was something some customers were seeing we’ll definitely want to investigate this further.

As for the tags, I somewhat agree that their presence on the surface of the card in most cases isn’t incredibly valuable; Not nearly as valuable as the card title and breadcrumb. If they were removed from the default view would that have any negative effects for your team (would also love to know from others in the community who may see this post if they feel differently)?

Hey @Jake Saper! Thanks for the reply. I may be misremembering or potentially mixing the web search with extension search. Will ask around to see if any folks have a screenshot that can clarify. 

I am thinking it might just be a visual discrepancy that makes me think that since the tags now appear larger, it’s showing less information when searching. While this might not be the case, it does mean that any screenshots I have in my training materials need to be updated as the UI has been revamped. 

We tried to get the team to use tags for searching but it wasn’t proving fruitful especially given how complex our offering is. In fact we’ve transitioned to using tags strictly for maintenance and operations (i.e. tagging cards that have screenshots, recordings, etc.). With the recent visual change, cards that have multiple tags show tags as larger than the title. Cards that have no or fewer tags appear much neater and are smaller which therefore shows more results when searching which is ideal. Perhaps the answer here is to create an option that hides tags from results when searching?

I also tried to recreate the hover preview in the extension but it’s not working for me (working for a colleague though). Were there any changes to the hover previews in the extension perhaps? They appear smaller.

Is there a summary of these changes anywhere perhaps? I want to make sure I am not going crazy… 🤪

Userlevel 3

Hi @Tyler, my name is Omar and I am a Product Manager working on this changes, together with Jake. Thanks so much for your feedback, we really appreciate when our customers come to the community and share their thoughts. I just posted an announcement in the community with all the changes that will be coming soon to the Chrome Extension. Please let us know if you have any questions. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey @Tyler!  The change management portion of your feedback really stood out to me. Some tips I can share are:

1. Keep an eye out for in-app prompts and/or banners, sometimes before and sometimes after release.

2. We’ll continue to post in Product Updates as product changes are released.

3. We’re going to sharing more in the Announcements area of the community, particularly for communicating ‘what to expect’ with upcoming releases. Case in point: Omar’s update today 😊 Hit the “Subscribe” button on that page to receive an email whenever a new announcement is published. 

I hope this helps! 🙌

Hey @Omar Carrasco 👋 Nice to meet you and appreciate the post about what’s to come. Really excited to what you roll out next in terms of updating the extension 🚀

Appreciate the tips @Marie Frei! I was already subscribed to Product Updates but Announcements is no doubt a nice supplement. I see the pop ups and callouts appear on web but can’t recall seeing anything about the extension… perhaps I just missed it!

Love the banner approach, folks! 👏