Is there a way for users to suspend verification requests whenever they update Cards?

• 11 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Hey folks, I've seen this question asked here a couple of times and I also asked early on in our Guru implementation.
Is there a way for users to suspend verification requests whenever they update cards? To my knowledge, there's currently no way to do this.
I often need to make small changes to cards and I don't want to bother the verifier with what might be a simple formatting update or sentence rewrite. To get around this, you can use the API to impersonate those users and verify articles on their behalf. Assuming you're an admin (and your org is cool with you editing the content of others), you just generate a token for the verifier of the card and then post the card content using the token. This is only worth setting up if you make a lot of small changes to other users' cards, but just figured I'd mention here in case others had similar questions.

Mary Houston 3 years ago

Hi @dillon 👋 Since verification is a key workflow of Guru, there is no way in the webapp to bypass unverifying a card when edits are made.

We do realize, however, there are times from an admin perspective that you need to update 100s of cards that you are not the verifier for, so our engineering team created a separate API endpoint that patches a card's content or verifier without making the card go unverified. It is documented in this card below. https://app.getguru.com/card/T4oKLM6c/Patching-a-cards-content-or-verifier
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @dillon 👋 Since verification is a key workflow of Guru, there is no way in the webapp to bypass unverifying a card when edits are made.
We do realize, however, there are times from an admin perspective that you need to update 100s of cards that you are not the verifier for, so our engineering team created a separate API endpoint that patches a card's content or verifier without making the card go unverified. It is documented in this card below. https://app.getguru.com/card/T4oKLM6c/Patching-a-cards-content-or-verifier
Userlevel 3
Hi @mhouston,
Thanks for linking this! I'll def use this in the future. This isn't in the API docs, is there a place where cards like this are aggregated?
The use case that I need the most though is verifying content that's been updated from the web app. Totally understand why that isn't supported, but I have to make lots of small edits to the cards of others for various reasons. In order to avoid undermining the verification process by asking folks to verify small edits on a regular basis, I need to verify the cards for them.
Userlevel 4
Badge
We are currently in the process of launching a V2 of our documentation - so ideally the beginning of 2021 you will see more expansive use cases and API reference endpoints exposed. We are currently doing a risk analysis of what endpoints we want to expose and share moving forward. Right now we are sending this type of documentation per request to get a solid understanding of customer use cases before publicly exposing - so thank you for sharing your use case. What kind of small edits are you making usually? Product name changes or team wide updates?
Userlevel 3
Oh cool, I'm excited to see what new features you'll doc! I'll keep an eye out for that.
I make a wide range of updates. Often it's just a formatting change or rewrite to increase the clarity of a card.
Less commonly, if there's a change that needs to be made across several cards, like a commonly referenced product name that needs to be updated, I do a global find and replace using the api.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Thank you for sharing! I could see the formatting changes begin easier via webapp instead of API. We have also heard the find and replace use case as well so I will send that to product feedback for webapp functionality as well. Let us know if you have any questions with the patching card content API workflow in the meantime and I will keep you updated on any documentation releases!