Question

SharePoint Integration - iFrame vs. Markdown

• 23 June 2022
  • 0 replies

We use SharePoint as our file storage solution and have been building cards in Guru where we’d like embed our SharePoint files directly into the card.  The goal is to make it easier for the team to view the content directly in the card vs. clicking and linking to another document.

Interestingly, when we tried to use the iFrame function in Guru to embed our content it did not work.  After reviewing this post (https://help.getguru.com/en/articles/4830978-embedding-assets-from-sharepoint-and-onedrive) we found that we needed to go through a slightly different sequence, using the mark down feature in cards.  When pulling the embedded file from SharePoint we were required to add dimensions (width and height).  This resulted in a fair amount of testing to find the ideal size for a portrait style word doc (btw, we settled on width: 850 x height: 1050) as our standard.  This isn’t the end of the world but it does make the process a bit messier than using an iFrame would.

Furthermore, it creates additional issues when embedding power point and excel files (especially excel files!).  As you can imagine, each spreadsheet uses different columns and rows, making a default height/width much less practical.  

I was surprised at how clunky all of this was and wanted to reach out to share my findings.  Furthermore, I’d like to understand why iFrame does not work?  Is this a simple fix or more complicated?  

This is a fix that will end up making the lives of our users (and I imagine others as SharePoint grows in adoption) much simpler.

Thank you for listening and I look forward to your response.

-Chris

0 replies

Be the first to reply!