Using Guru's API to feed a dev site into Guru - any tips?

• 6 August 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
👋 Hey all! I'm trying to convince my Engineering and Product Teams that we should use the *Guru Manual API to feed our new Dev site into Guru.* Did anyone have any winning arguments that helped make the case? @klecornu shared some great examples with me yesterday, so I know a few of you have done it! Would love some additional pro tips.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
We api our external facing educate website into guru for searchability. i.e. instead of navigating to multiple places they can find what they need to know in guru!
@katie.vermilyea I'll ask around. Have you received push back from Eng/Product teams?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@chrisanderson I'm preparing for a fight, as they're looking to use the new Dev site for some lead capture. I suspect they're worried that it's not an effective use of Eng. hours for something that our Engineering team hasn't historically used. My counterpoint is "But every other team in the company is, we need to make this information accessible to all and easy to find."
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
What would be amazing if that the Guru card also had a link to the Dev Site page (like y'all have with the Zendesk integration) so that when a Guru card is used to answer a question from Support, Support can share the Dev page link with the customer and we can say this will reinforce driving customer traffic to the website, rather than inflating numbers with internal traffic.
Gotcha, thanks for the additional context. I shared your last comment w/our Product team just now by the way. Just thinking out loud - do you think sharing a projection of time investment to do what you're proposing, as well as rough estimate of time savings for internal teams, would help get their buy in?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
@klecornu and I were talking about it yesterday, and part of it is just getting a lot of their old legacy knowledge cleaned up (a project we're in the middle of) and then culturally getting them to start documenting consistently, which is an issue larger than Guru, as it's the battle of extracting it from the mind of a knowledge hoarder :slightlysmilingface:
She shared with me some of the referenceable customer stories, which I'm definitely going to be leveraging. Our site's not that complex, so shouldn't be a huge lift, just getting buy-in from senior stakeholders that this matters.