Add additional format options to Code Blocks

Related products: Card Creation

As an Technical Author, I want the ability to format my code blocks in more languages; so that I can document code in XML or HTML or another language. I will know this is working as intended when I can choose XML or HTML as the format of a code block.

I came just to raise this request. Thanks for beating me to the punch, Ian!

Would love for the functionality to mirror that of Codeblocks in GDocs add-ons: https://workspace.google.com/marketplace/app/code_blocks/100740430168

I also find it shocking that XML isn’t currently an option. That’s one of basic data markup formats of the internet! Especially since JSON, and even YAML, are supported.

I think it should also be mentioned that the code highlighting is basically not doing much anyway. Would be great to bring this to the level of e.g. code blocks in Notion.

In some cases it would also be better not to break the lines, but instead scroll horizontally.

I’d like to add in here a plug for tabbed code blocks to be considered too!

Big +1! We’re hoping to use Guru cards to hold the HTML code backup of our Knowledge Base articles for better version control, and having an HTML option in the code blocks would be so beneficial. 

Big +1! We’re hoping to use Guru cards to hold the HTML code backup of our Knowledge Base articles for better version control, and having an HTML option in the code blocks would be so beneficial. 

Can you expand on how you use this (especially for version control)?

Can you expand on how you use this (especially for version control)?

Sure! It’s much more manual than we’d like, but highly needed because the Knowledge Base (KB) tool we’re currently with does not have a viable version control for the level of product releases and updates our articles go through. Because Guru’s card history is so wonderful, we’re planning on copying and pasting the HTML from the KB article into the corresponding Guru card each time we publish an update. This way, if we need to know what has changed between the current and previous versions, we can use the card history side by side comparison. We plan to keep a change log section on the card as well, with a table showing the version number (as it corresponds in our KB), a summary of the changes, a link to any project/task manager/request that prompted the changes, etc.