Changes replying to comments, clicking outside the text field deletes drafted reply

Related products: User Experience

Just reporting a frustrating observed behavior. When I am drafting a reply to a comment, if I click outside of the immediate text field to copy a link or a line of text, my drafted comment is erased and I have to start over again. I don’t remember experiencing this before today. I rewrote my reply to this user several times and eventually have to draft in a different window.

Replies take a little bit of crafting and revision.. clicking elsewhere should not delete the comment.

Screenshots attached below. Has anyone else noticed this?

Copying a link in the same browser window closes my reply, clicking reply again shows an empty text field. 

Can confirm, this started once in-line comments were introduced, and has been consistent since.

Hi @Veronica Rockstrom and @Gary Morin

Thanks for posting about this, we agree it’s frustrating. You’re right that this started with the move from card-level comments to inline comments. It was a miss when we were translating the old experience to the new one. Sorry we created extra work and confusion for you! 

We’re actively working on an update to save WIP comments and replies that we should be able to release this week. The experience of keeping a WIP comment open is a little inelegant but we decided to prioritize releasing a solution for preserving WIP comment content over a polished experience. We’ll smooth that piece out in the near future. We’ll post here when the in progress update is out! 

OpenScheduled

One clarification - saving in progress comment and reply content won’t work across opening and closing the card. It will work when hiding/opening comments and clicking around while in the card or working with another comment on the card. 

Well things moved faster than I expected and the update to preserve content is out 🎉. Give open Guru tabs a refresh and you’ll be all set!

ScheduledComplete

Incredible, thank you so much for the quick support @Laura Desmond-Black!

Of course! It’s nice when a solution is straightforward 😀