Improved drag-and-drop Card capability

Related products: User Experience

I have a hard time everytime I need to drag a card into a group or a section. Most times I drag where I want the card to be but it doesn't work and it keeps where it was.

I love this tool but this is annoying. Probably the worst drag-and-drop that I've ever used...

I came here to post the exact same thing. I would agree 100% - this is far and away the worst drag-and-drop functionality I’ve used in any professional tool.

9/10 times I drag and drop a card, it simply doesn’t move. 9/10 times I try to drag and drop a board group, it nests itself under another board group, instead of dropping where I’ve hovered over.

This has been an issue as long as I’ve used the tool - 2+ years - but seems to have gotten significantly worse with the recent UI updates.
Guru, please prioritize fixing this
, as it is a significant miss in the user experience and adds up to a large amount of wasted time for me and my team.

Hi @Gary Morin & @Bernardo El thanks so much for the feedback

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with Guru's drag & drop functionality. This is our first iteration and also our first step towards building a more flexible and intuitive navigation. We are currently exploring solutions to improve our "drag-and-drop" functionality that also fits within our current content structure. 

I would love to be able to better understand the challenges you are having. If you could share with me (via DM) a video of the challenge you are experiencing that would be helpful. Feedback is very important to us, and having this would help us when designing a solution!

@Omar Carrasco Seems like you built that feature in house and those are really tough features to build. My advice (as an engineer): implement this with an open source framework that's widely used. I personally like React DND (https://react-dnd.github.io/react-dnd/about), used by Trello, Storify and other major projects.

Here's a video of what the experience feels like, as compared with Trello: https://share.getcloudapp.com/X6uQNqZl

One nice thing about React DND is that it doesn’t hang the UI for drag-and-drop interactions. Instead, it lets the user do whatever they want locally, then sends an event to a webWorker to finish the job. The worker survives DOM destruction, so you don’t need to worry about changes not being saved.

PLEASE work on this. Literally every user at my company has complained about drag-and-drop so far during implementation and training.

That’s an excellent video/summary, thank you @Jonathan Azrielant.

We just started using Guru at my company, and we also ran into this problem. 

Seems to be even worse when using sections.

Any updates on this? It seems to have gotten much worse, especially when using sections as another user mentioned. 

Hi @Bernardo El and @Jonathan Azrielant  I also experienced this so you and reported this as a bug a couple weeks ago through the Guru help center channel as a potential issue. I received a prompt reply from Customer Support and they were extremely helpful.  

It was explained to me that he Guru engineering team has determined that the issues we are  experiencing with dragging and dropping Cards in Guru are isolated to users who have their browser zoom settings set to 90% or 110%.

A temporary workaround may be to zoom to a different percentage when dragging and dropping Cards or adding Cards to sections by clicking the button next to the section title and clicking "Add Card inside."

I was told the fix this bug is slated for the coming weeks. I love the Support we get from the Guru Team!!!

This helped & allowed me to get my cards dropped, thank you!

OpenComplete