Zapier: Improve Guru Card Comment Created Zap to extract Guru Comment itself

Related products: Apps and Integrations API

Problem

I currently keep track of all our Guru comments in a Google Sheet (useful to track analytics/usage and track user participation which can be used for performance reviews). Guru comments are used in our feedback cycle to allow anyone to flag missing, unclear or outdated content.

I would like to be able to automate this by having Zapier update this sheet for me instead of me copying and manually entering each comment, but the issue is that there is currently no specific support to extract the comment itself when using the Guru Card Comment Created trigger in Zapier:

While testing the Guru Card Comment Created trigger, there is no exact event for the Comment itself to select/test.
Even when proceeding further, there is no field to map to my spreadsheet to fill in the actual comment from a Guru card itself.

Proposed Solution

Improve the API offerings for Zapier to correctly pick up the Guru Comment field itself, as well as add in the Guru Commenter Name and Guru Comment Date as applicable fields too. This will greatly benefit anyone looking to automate their tracking of Guru comments, since there are no in-app analytics available for Guru comments.

Thanks for posting, Brooke! Let’s see what traction we can gather here. This would be a nice addition to your workflow.

This workflow would be golden! We’re currently receiving approx 30 comments a month whil having migrated only approx 50% of out Knowledge Base library. At the moment it is just me taking care of the comments and am basically doing the same as Brooke - manually copying them into Google Sheet to keep track, process and also use the data. Is there any chance this automation would be possible with Zapier @Steph Hardy

Thanks for the additional context @Lucia Delicova! While this is not on our immediate roadmap, it is definitely something we are continuing to keep on our radar and will monitor if and when it gets more traction here.

Hey @Jon Saft just an update to my previous insight on how very useful this would be 😁 Within the last 6 months, we’ve gone to approx 90% of the original library being migrated into Guru and we’re currently on approx 30-40 comments a week (increasing each week) coming from approx 1500 users for more than 500 cards. We’re tracking the comments, commenters, dates and their status as Pending response/In Progress/Answered (let’s be honest, navigating through Mentions is a bit of a pain).

I’m still copying all of this manually to a Google Sheet that as of today has more than 600 comments tracked (starting tracking date June 20th, 2022). We’re getting more people on the team and as you can imagine, maintanance of such Google Sheet on daily basis is not fun even for one person, let alone if it should be shared between a team of 3-4 people. 

I am sure that you guys have bigger companies with more users and comments within your clients, I am surprised that not more people have requested this to be implemeted already.

Is there anything at all related to improvement of the comments management on the plan for 2023? 🙂

Hi @Jon Saft it’s been a while since my last comment and although I see that there’s not been much of a traction here, I thought I might give you the current status of how we’re doing and how lifesaving this would be for our team 🙂 

Our library consists of more than 900 cards at the moment (so about 400 cards more compared to 7 months ago) and looking at comments statistics of last 3 months, we got 86 in July, 151 in August and 160 in September.

Summer months are a low season in our company and as we’re approaching a peak season with new product releases and changes to our processes every week, we expect these numbers to increase - 4 days into October, we’re on average of 8 comments per day.

Any chance that this little thing is somewhere on your roadmap? 

Thanks @Lucia Delicova . 

Unfortunately, I don’t have any major updates for you with regards to new Zapier triggers. However, if you have developer resources to build against our API, you can fetch a list of comments for a given card ID. Using the strategy, you would need to maintain your own snapshot history to see the delta between old and new snapshots, but it is a possible workaround to remove some of the manual work pulling in new comments. 

Hopefully this helps! And we will definitely let you know if we decide to revisit additional Zapier work in this area.

Hi @Lucia Delicova -- Happy to chat more on our next call about using our API given the current limitations in app. Thanks for flagging!