Release Note

Dashboard update: personalized recommendations “Recommended For You”

Related products: User Experience
Dashboard update: personalized recommendations “Recommended For You”

Hi Guru Community!

We’re introducing a new way to help people find information they need to succeed in their jobs. Today, we’re releasing automated, personalized recommendations in a section titled “Recommended For You” on the Guru web app dashboard. 

Now, when users log into Guru, they’ll see a new section on the dashboard that surfaces Cards based on their activity in Guru and the activity of people like them within your company. These recommendations are unique for every user, and are a great way to keep people continuously connected to useful content. Recommendations will include knowledge that the user may not know exists in Guru, may have not seen in a long time, or may have recently interacted with.

Personalized recommendations on the dashboard

Here’s how it works:

• Recommendations will automatically appear when users visit the dashboard. 
    • Users can access up to 15 recommended cards in this section. 
    • Recommendations refresh once a day.
    • Note that a user might not see recommended Cards if they haven’t been active in Guru yet.
    • If a recommendation isn’t helpful you can dismiss it to keep it out of your recommendations for a while. 
  • To help you decide if you'd like to view a recommendation we've included a preview of key information:
    • Name and image of the last person to modify the card
    • Date of the last modification
    • An “Updated" label if the card has been updated in the last 10 days
  • If a user sees a Card that’s interesting, they can click to open it right from the dashboard.
  • Recommendations will improve over time as users interact with Cards while they use Guru in their work, and as the rest of their coworkers also continue to engage with Guru.

To learn more, check out the new Personalized Card Recommendations article in Help Center.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on this new feature! Please let us know what you think with a comment below.

Hi there.

Thank you for the update!

I just have a couple of questions if that’s ok:

There used to be a “new cards” tab on the homepage/dashboard but that seems to have disappeared ( I have checked the new cards aren’t included in the “recommended” ones and they don’t seem to be). We have always encouraged users to check this daily as part of their routine, but now I can only see a way through card manager to filter for “new knowledge”?

Also, I dismissed my suggested cards a couple of days ago, but I don’t appear to have had any refresh since? I hope I haven’t broken it!

Thanks very much.

Hi @Angela McCarthy

Questions are very welcome :)

You’re right that we removed the list of new cards. We found that it had very low engagement and in some cases contributed complaints about the old dashboard not surfacing relevant information. New cards might show up in the recommended list but so can existing cards. We’re still early in figuring out the exact right blend of cards to display in the recommended list so feedback like yours is very helpful, thanks for sharing it! We’ll continue to make adjustments over the coming months. Here are some ways you can re-create the list of new cards for your team:

• Use a Slack activity feed (you can set more than one collection to point to the same channel with this option, giving you a level of control the previous feed didn’t have)
  • As you mentioned, another option is through Card Manger, and with this you can choose the timeframe of what “new” means (7 days? 14?)
  • You might be able to use a Zap to push these to another place your team consumes content 

Regarding dismissing cards, you haven’t broken anything! Dismissed cards will stay out of your recommendation list for 90 days. While recommendations are generated once a day, the same card can show up in recommendations successively, across different recommendation sets. Hopefully over the course of the week, and depending on how many cards your team has, you’ll notice more changes. 

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have more questions or thoughts!

Hi Laura

Thank you so much for coming back to me so quickly.

I understand now. I appreciate we will all use the platform differently - it has been great for us to have the “new cards” tab as it easily allows users to view new content when they set up for the day or have a little down time(not very often) without having to go searching for it. It is probably worth more to us than the “recently viewed” tab, however this may not be the same for everyone.

Hopefully I will start to see some recommended content again - I know as I am a main author and verifier I may be filtered out, but even I still need reminding of what I have put in there:)

Of course! And thank you for sharing what worked for your team, we’re keeping track of this and other feedback and will continue to make adjustments as we learn how people are using the new dashboard. 

I remembered one more option that might help your team, the list of new cards is still in our Chrome browser extension, if that’s something your team uses. 

Hi Laura

Thanks again. We don’t use the extension, so that wouldn’t work for us just now, but I really appreciate the extra info.

I have started to see some “recommended” content again which is great-we will keep our eyes peeled for updates for the “new content” function as it was definitely very valuable to us the way it worked previously.

@Angela McCarthy One suggestion - We had a similar reaction because I liked seeing the new cards. However, as the primary author in Guru, I realized that not all of our new cards were super important to be seen on the homepage. I get around this by using the Featured Cards widget to add the really important new cards. It’s an extra step because it doesn’t generate automatically, but it lets me make the list more curated. Hope that is helpful!