Release Note

Improved onboarding tour for new users

Related products: User Experience
Improved onboarding tour for new users

Hi Guru Community! We’re excited to announce a big improvement for users that are experiencing Guru for the first time. We’ve revamped our onboarding tour to ensure that every new user has the information they need to get up and running quickly–tailored to their role. Once a user at your company signs in for the first time, they'll receive a tour that better explains their dashboard, Slack and Chrome integrations, as well as how to find the knowledge they're looking for in Guru.

Not only that, but all Guru users will have the ability to launch the onboarding tour from their help menu if they want to revisit certain parts or just need a refresh. 

We hope you love it!

Can you clarify what is meant by 'tailored to their role?'

Is this to say that one who Collection owner on one or more collection sees one thing, whereas as author another, and so on?

Hi @Paul_Wickes ! Great question, thanks for asking! Right now, the guides are tailored into two groups: admins and end users. Admins have additional education around some more advanced and admin-specific features (such as user management), whereas the end user experience (for all non-admins) is focused on how to make the most of Guru in your workflow. 

Will the Teams integration be included in future iterations of the onboarding tour? 

Hi @Rebecca Hia ! Good question—in the current tour, we give a brief overview of both chat integrations (Slack and Teams), though our example imagery is inspired by Slack. Can you tell me a bit more about what you’d hope to see around Teams? We’ll certainly keep it in mind as we work on future iterations! 

Hi @Sydney Sundell I’m imagining an onboarding tour for helping admins and end-users set-up the Slack/Teams integrations, and maybe setting up the Chrome extension as well 

Not only that, but all Guru users will have the ability to launch the onboarding tour from their help menu if they want to revisit certain parts or just need a refresh. 

I am not seeing this option from my Guru help tool. I am an admin.

@Rebecca Hia this is something we may explore further—today, we have some prompts for installing the Chrome extension, but I could see a more guided experience being helpful! Thanks for raising, and we will keep you posted. 

Hi @David MacVicar ! I took a look into your account and saw that you are currently on our Starter edition. Starter teams actually have a different version of our onboarding experience, which is based on the features available in that plan. While we hope to provide a similar experience for Starter teams soon, in the meantime I would recommend referencing our Help Center for additional education. We will keep you updated if this changes!

Hi @David MacVicar, following up here to let you know that the re-launchable product tour for Starter teams went live yesterday! Any new user joining a Starter team will now see our improved onboarding experience, and you will be able to re-surface that tour at any time via the Help menu. It also previews features available in our Builder plan, so that you can understand the differences between our editions. Thank you for your feedback! 

Hi @David MacVicar, following up here to let you know that the re-launchable product tour for Starter teams went live yesterday! Any new user joining a Starter team will now see our improved onboarding experience, and you will be able to re-surface that tour at any time via the Help menu. It also previews features available in our Builder plan, so that you can understand the differences between our editions. Thank you for your feedback! 

Thanks Sydney! That is great news. However, I just tried in our starter plan and I do not see the option to relaunch the onboard tour. I logged out/logged back in – also cleared my browser cache. Any ideas?

Hi @David MacVicar thank you so much for sharing that screenshot—we’re investigating the issue on our end and will have an answer to you soon! Apologies for the delay and inconvenience. 

@David MacVicar , thanks for your patience—this should be working normally now! Please let us know if you see any issues :)