Enhancement

New Card Insights: See how many Guru Cards link to any given Card

Related products: Knowledge Management Tools Guru Administration

Hi everyone! 

We know how important it is to be able to link Guru Cards to one another to create continuity across your knowledge base, so we’re excited to provide more context around how and where your Cards are linked to each other in Guru. On the details tab of a Card, you’ll now be able to see how many other Cards in Guru link to that Card.

20 other Cards in Guru include a link to this Card written by Guru’s co-founder and CEO, Rick.

Providing a list of Cards that link to a Guru Card will help both authors and end users understand the significance of that Card’s topic and the sprawl of that information. Seeing that a Card is linked to from 10 other Cards can help you draw connections between knowledge across authors and Collections. Users will only be able to see the Card titles in the linked list that they have permission to view; any other Cards will display as inaccessible so as to maintain your knowledge security.

Card titles will not display to users who do not have permissions to view that Card.

This additional context is especially important when it comes to archiving Cards – without understanding how any given Guru Card is referenced throughout your knowledge base, it’s impossible to understand the impact of archiving that Card. If Card A includes a link to Card B and Card B is archived, the link on the Card A becomes broken. Broken Guru links create a confusing experience for users and leads to dead ends in your knowledge base. By providing visibility into how many Guru Cards link to a given Card, authors can proactively remove or update those links before archiving a Card, or even rethink archiving that Card in the first place. 

We hope this update improves your ability to make connections between information in Guru and helps you keep your knowledge base clean and accurate. Let us know how you plan on using this new information to better manage your knowledge in Guru!

Hey @Chandler Sopko, thanks for the update!  Our team is stoked about this feature - it will help us tremendously with card maintenance. 👌

One note/question - it seems to only work in the web app and not the Chrome extension. Is this intentional? Will we see this launch in the Extension?

Thank you!

Hey @Amelia Altstadt  !

It’s working in the chrome extension great for our team! I just tried it with a random popular card we all use, clicked “Details” and Voila. It’s right beneath the analytics section.

Hmmm, it’s not showing up for me - I double checked the entire details page on multiple cards that I know are linked to by other cards. 

This is the part where I stop acting like I know what I’m doing, and I let the actual pros take over...lol

I refreshed my Guru login and I see it in the extension! Yay!

Guru team, this is one of the best things you have ever ever done for me. May you be blessed for generations to come. 

I think I might be missing something. Right now our users can archive a card without going through any approval process. As the person overseeing Guru and trying to maintain some governance, I don’t see a way to see the cards that linked to the newly archived card (since card Details aren’t accessible after archiving.)  I would need to train the organization that before archiving any card, they go to see where it is linked and address those links. Is there a workaround anybody has implemented or am I missing the ability to see where an archived card was linked after it has been archived?

Hi @Lynn Miller

You’re not missing anything, it’s not possible to see what cards a card was linked to once it’s archived. You can unarchive it, and provided the cards it was linked to haven’t been changed, the previously-archived card will show which cards it is linked to. Not a smooth workflow, I know. Instead of trying to have team members check links before archiving cards what about having people tag cards they want to be archived. Then a smaller group could review those tagged cards and do the additional updates before archiving them? That might be a little simpler for the team.