Solved

Does anyone have a "how to guide" template?

• 11 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
hey y'all. Who has a 'How To Guide' template that they are super proud of and wants to let me steal ideas from it? 😄 My end goal is a template that is fleshed out enough to guide other authors as they fill them out. (Trying to take another baby step toward having other authors live in our system.)
icon

Best answer by Kaitlin Warren 11 March 2021, 19:57

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hey, John! :slightlysmilingface: I'm not sure if this is what you need or not, but we have 5 different card types, and each one has sections (relevant to that card type) for contributors to just fill in. Here are the sections we use (not all sections are on every card type template, though):
• What is it? (Brief overview of the thing)
• Why is it important?/Why are we doing it?/How does it help us? (This section gives us a broader picture of why we're trying a particular feature or using a platform, etc. It outlines the goals we hope to achieve with the thing.)
• How does it affect the customer (if relevant)?
• How does it affect customer service? (This section is designed to highlight the ways in which the thing affects the CS rep's job and hopefully help with buy-in.)
• How do we do it? (For tutorial cards only - includes step-by-step instructions with videos, gifs, screenshots, etc.)
• Detailed Flow (step-by-step instructions to explain flows we use within our tools, etc.)
• Potential Issues and How to help (In bulleted form with the first bullet being the Issue and the secondary bullet being the Solution, and following that pattern for each potential issue)
• Things to Note (a bulleted list of other helpful info or relevant, cross-linked cards)
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
This is definitely helpful. May I ask what your card types are and how you differentiate for your authors on which type to use where?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
For sure! We have Info cards, Flow cards, Tutorial cards, FAQ cards, and Policy cards.
And as far as how they know when to use which template, I created a packet with a card that gave a detailed description of each card type was and when to use it and provided some of our most used cards in each category as examples of what they should look like.
We are working on building more opportunity for more of our team to contribute info to Guru, but this system has worked pretty well for the handful of teammates who have helped us contribute in the past. :slightlysmilingface:
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
This is super helpful, Kaitlin. Thank you so much!
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sure thing - I'm happy to help! :slightlysmilingface:
Userlevel 3
Thanks for sharing, Kaitlin! Enjoyed reading your process! This could definitely help our SMEs!!