Guru for Conferences & Events

• 15 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Everyone :wave: Molly from Guru’s Sales Engineering team here!

Can you believe SPRING :rose:  :sunny: is almost here?! With spring comes warm weather, mid-day walks, and …. CONFERENCES! Companies who host their own conferences have to keep their employees informed with information like:

• Location and time details of the event - Where do I need to be and when?
  • Schedule of events - Who are our speakers and what will they be talking about?
  • Talking points - What are some conversations I can spark up with attendees?
  • FAQs - Are there questions you’re guaranteed to be asked?

We’ve brainstormed a few ideas on how putting this information in Guru can ensure your team is knowledgable when the very first Welcome Event begins:

• Knowledge Alert - Send a knowledge alert the day before the event to ensure your team has all the details regarding where they need to be and when and TRACK that they’ve read it!
  • Slack / MS Teams Integration - Quickly answer questions before and during the event by replying to messages with Guru cards. Does a new question come up? Easy! Capture it and store it in Guru so the rest of your team has access.
  • iOS / Android App - If you’re getting asked questions while on the show floor or at lunch with a customer, quickly look up the answer on your mobile device

We’d love to hear from you :ear: ...

:tada:How have YOU used Guru to successfully inform your team with knowledge about your conference or an internal team event? :tada:

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Chris Anderson I though you might be a great person to kickoff this conversation!  You coordinated such an amazing Empower event in 2019 here at Guru!  I know I personally felt empowered with all the knowledge I needed going into that event.  Any tips and tricks you can share?

Excellent topic @Molly Vogt, and very timely as we’re starting to plan for our fall conference coming up in October! As you mentioned, there’s so much information that employees across the company need before, during, and after a conference. Ticket tiers and deadlines, discount codes, speaker and session information, outreach templates for inviting customers and prospects, sponsorship details, travel logistics...the list goes on and on and on. Needless to say, it was a no-brainer for us to organize all of the information about our 2019 conference in Guru 😉

With the aim to hold our conference annually, we decided to build a dedicated Collection. Here’s a snapshot of what it looks like (note: we reorganized Boards after the 2019 conference wrapped up, and looking at this with fresh eyes, it could use a little housekeeping 😅):

A few tips come to mind:

• Think through the structure first. What information will your teams need easy access to? How might you best organize this information in Guru? Does certain information need to be exclusively accessible to certain Groups? This initial exercise will help give you a sense for what structure will work the best. Don’t worry though, you can always change it later.
  • Identify SMEs to help create the Cards. Hopefully you have a core committee or group of folks who are responsible for planning and producing the conference. Empower and guide them to document the details for their workstream(s) in Guru, within the structure you’ve set up.
  • Set appropriate Verification intervals. Some Cards may need to be updated multiple times leading up to the conference. And others won’t need to be touched for a long time. Set Verification intervals accordingly so your Cards stay verified.
  • Use Knowledge Alerts. Will you run a flash sale that you need your go-to-market teams to immediately spread the word to customers about? Have “know before you go” reminders you need employees to read (e.g., safety precautions, code of conduct, etc.) right before the conference? These are great examples of when you can set up Knowledge Alerts to notify certain groups and ensure they’ve read the Card(s).
  • Use Knowledge Triggers (KTs). Consider setting up a KT with a general conference FAQ Card when someone lands on the conference website. Have discount codes and info. on how to offer and use them? Set a KT with the appropriate Card on the registration page. If your conference website has multiple pages, you can set up appropriate KTs for each with the corresponding Card that gives more info. to employees.

If anyone has questions about how to use Guru to document conference information, I’m happy to chat! @Mirna Lessinger I believe you went through this motion as well, any tips or learnings you’d share?

Userlevel 3

I love this thread! As an events company, we take our internal events very seriously 😅 We’ve created a board for all things internal events, and for our biggest ones, they would receive their own Guru card. On that card, we are able to consolidate everything for the event. Some of those things might include:

• Speaker details
  • Event details (timings/links/theme)
  • Links to surveys (before and after the event)
  • Galleries (post-event)
  • Recordings (post-event)

It is our one stop shop for everything to do that event and helps us keep Slack and peoples’ calendars a little clearer. We have been using Guru for about 7 months now and still haven’t used knowledge alerts to the best of their potential, so I’m grateful for the tips above! We are tending to use them primarily now for our weekly newsletter (on a Guru card). One other note is that we have seen success partnering Guru with go/links. So for a recent sales kick off themed “Hopinland”, all our event info lived on the card and was accessible at go/hopinland (but also easily searchable on Guru). 

In the future, I’d love to explore doing more with recordings after events. It might be nice to look at pulling transcripts, key quotes, or time-stamping when certain parts begin and storing that all in Guru.