How do you use Guru to manage a new hire's onboarding schedule?

Userlevel 3
HI! Does anyone have examples of how they used cards to manage a new hires onboarding schedule? (I searched Slack and found all of your amazing onboarding lists - but nothing that looked like an agenda). I was using the table, but with the limited functionality it doesn't look as pretty as I had hoped 😉 Hoping there is a better idea out there!

24 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I haven't done this myself, but i'm learning that having Overview Cards that simply hyperlink to all the other Guru cards that are related has been a positive user experience. So maybe instead of a table you could have 1 card per day of onboarding? And on each day you can hyperlink to the relevant Cards they'll be covering that day. Just a thought
Userlevel 3
Thanks! I am doing similar in a table - hyperlinking out - and its working. However, I feel like I am trying to recreate a google doc, so was hoping there was some alternative way out there!
Hey @allie.sokoloff! If it helps at all, I put together a card w/some example onboarding boards we use at Guru. We have a standard People Ops onboarding board for all new employees, and most team's also have team-specific onboarding boards.
Userlevel 3
This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you :slightlysmilingface:
Re: schedule, several teams do a card for each week (e.g. week 1, week 2, etc.).
Userlevel 3
Love the AE Week 1 breakdown in the classroom section. Needed some help visualizing how to organize this - perfect!
Great! If any particular cards would be helpful to see, say the word and I can grab some additional screenshots. I suspect an upcoming Guru Deep Dive will focus on Onboarding, and we'll likely add a bunch of templates in the Template Gallery as well (timing TBD).
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
We have one card per week of onboarding that's a table of contents of sorts, and that is sent to the new hire on every Monday morning during their onboarding by Donut. The cards link out to the various LMS courses and other Guru boards and cards they'll need for each topic, as well as some exercises in some cases. We generally cover 2-3 product areas and 1-2 overall department processes per week.
All of these cards live within one board per sub-team/role.
Userlevel 3
Thanks! Im just trying to decide which is easier for a new hire to follow. A chart format where they mark off "done" vs a list view. If you have any thoughts would love them!screenshot2020-12-08at52512pm_5245.png
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Ah - we just do a list and it's up to them to decide when to do things and in what order (within that week - the weeks are structured in a particular order that builds upon itself.)
We don't track compliance as to what they do, but have gotten feedback that new hires would like an interactive checklist so they can keep track themselves.screenshot2020-12-08at22651pm_5246.png
Userlevel 3
Thanks for sharing! This is great - looks so organized! I am in the same boat - trying to blend your format + checklist
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
We have an "Onboarding" board group then we have different boards within. Within each board there are multiple sections. Additionally we also have guru cards that contains lists of linked out Guru cards.
As an option - if you are looking more to be able to check boxes as they onboard - you can also iframe in a google sheet for them to follow for onboarding.
Userlevel 3
great idea on the iframe! They could always print it if they want to follow along. LOVE THIS!!!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
we've got something similar with an entire onboarding board that the newbie can click thru for pay, beneifts, setup, etc
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
happy to help @allie.sokoloff there might even be google doc templates out there for onboarding!
Userlevel 3
@zev @kelly.parks I would love any screenshots you are open to sharing! I think I am going to go this route for the iframe/google doc so they can have a personalized "check list"
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
love it! i looked but our POps team is redoing them, so ill wait on the screenshot. I'd love to see the iframe if anyone has ideas there
Userlevel 3
Just created it!screenshot2020-12-10at105017am_5248.png
Userlevel 3
The top part of my card now mirrors what @chrisanderson shared that Guru uses broken out into "meetings to set up" "shadowing" and "self learning" to dos - and then this check list to supplement
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
@allie.sokoloff There's a built-in way to create a checkbox inside of a cell in google sheets: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/7684717?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
If it's helpful :slightlysmilingface:
Userlevel 3
ahh thank you!!!! Google docs is not my speciality (former accountant here...excel is my jam haha)
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Ha funny...former financial analyst so I feel you 100%. Definitely took some time to find all the hidden gems inside sheets!
Userlevel 3
@graham check this thread out! Maybe helpful!
@allie.sokoloff this is great!! Thank you