Using WorkRamp + Guru

• 24 February 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey Guru network! 

We are switching out from Skilljar to a new LMS this year. A big factor for us is how well the LMS integrates with Guru. I’m curious if anyone has a LMS that you really like, and that works well with Guru! We are currently evaluating systems like WorkRamp, Intellum, and WorkDay. Does anyone use these with Guru and have any feedback? Any additional tools that you’d recommend? 

Thanks! 

2 replies

Hi @Grace Taylor! I’m tagging in a few folks who may be able to share insights: @Katie Vermilyea @Lindsey Hart @Charles Derupe @Laura Jolly @Erich Beer 

Also, here are a few tips I pulled together from our team, if it’s helpful:

What goes in the LMS vs. the Knowledge Management solution?

When thinking about this, consider what content, activities and communities (knowledge, training and interactions) do the people working in your organization actually need in order to provide the highest value to customers?

It usually depends largely on the nature of the work being done. It is useful to consider the following categories of work, proposed some years ago by Winslow and Bramer in Futurework.

Tips for making Guru work well with an LMS

1. Encourage searching Guru in your learning modules
    1. This will make the usually passive experience of using an LMS more active and engaging, and it will also condition users to search in Guru early on
    2. Examples:
      1. Embed Guru Cards into the LMS solution
      2. Clicking a Guru link from within an LMS will open the card from the extension over the LMS.
      3. Encourage reps to search for information that can only be found in Guru but will be referenced on the quiz at the end of the learning module
  2. Create an ecosystem that will follow the 70 - 20 - 10 rule!
    1. Use your LMS for instruction (10% of learning)
    2. Use Chat (Slack, etc.) for internal communication (20% of learning)
    3. Use Guru for in-the-moment accessing of knowledge (70% of learning)
Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@Grace Taylor 👋😊 I would agree with Chris’s tips! Our Support team uses Workramp integrated with Guru, and it works really well for our onboarding, upskilling, and product releases. There are some feature requests we’ve had in for Workramp that could improve its usability (a lot around organizing and assigning content in more clear ways), but overall it has been a great tool that we’ve used for a few years now, and we integrate Guru cards right into it - either embedding an entire card to read within a module, or linking cards in a list of tasks for the person to go through and complete.

We host all the information in Guru, with the idea that teammates shouldn’t have to go back into Workramp after they’ve finished the interactive training module, they can just rely on Guru content afterward.