Question

What is everyone's workflow around archiving questions and dismisisng questions?

• 4 February 2022
  • 3 replies

I am on the team that is responsible for answering questions in Guru and I’m happy a bit of a difficult time getting a good workflow going that feels comfortable to me. 

When a question comes in and I see it in the Inbox, I assign it to myself rather than my team's group then I proceed to answer with a comment and then either create a new card or answer with an existing card. 

Once I’ve done that then the card is answered so is the best next step to just dismiss the question from my Inbox or Archive it?

If I archive a question it is not super clear where it actually goes, and if I can then view it again if necessary.

Also, there’s a strangeness that occurs that if you do answer the question, sometimes it will still show as unanswered but so when you go to answer it again thinking it did not take, it will say that the question has already been answered even though it still on the main Question Inbox screen say unanswered, so I just have to trust that the answer did in fact get to the user that asked it originally.

Any thoughts or tips on any of this? Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @Lauren Gregg , great question! I’m so interested to see what others’ workflows are around questions. 

For us, while we do have dialogues in Card comments, how we manage our Card creation queue lives outside of Guru in a project management system or through Slack.

I’d recommend you take advantage of the automated Zapier workflow that can send Guru Card comments to a project management system you use. For example, take a look here at an example turning comments into items in Monday.com. Setting up an automated workflow or combination of workflows will be super helpful if you are looking to scale the # of folks creating Guru Cards one day. 

If a question comes in, depending on your goals you’ll likely want to resolve the question over archiving it in order to have historical information that it was taken care of. More on asking and answering questions in Guru here.

Re: your specific experience with questions displaying unanswered, it looks like you’re facing some buggy behavior. This is something Guru's Technical Support team can best respond to - I've alerted our Support Team and they’ll be touch as soon as possible over email to troubleshoot with you further!

Hi Callie,

Appreciate this information! Just a quick clarification, when you say “resolve the question”, I assume you’re meaning the option to “Answer question” as I don’t see a specific resolve option on a question asked that goes into the “Questions-Inbox”. I see “resolve” as an option on comments and mentions, but that’s it. 

What I see on a Question:

What I see for mentions/comments in the Mentions section:

So you’re saying that after a question is answered, per the answer question option then dismissing it is the best next step, and never to Archive because that removes it. 

Is there anywhere that Archived questions go? I know there’s an Archive section in the Card Manager but that’s for Archived cards, and not questions. 

It would be helpful even as Admins, those answering questions, that we could see previously asked questions even if they are Archived.

Also, if Archived questions don’t go anywhere and are not recoverable, then I think perhaps some deeper warning on the “Archive question” should occur to warn users that if it is Archived it is fully removed and cannot be recovered. 

Thank you again! :)

Userlevel 2

Would really love some attention to this process as it feels quite broken in its current state. If we’re trying to replace Slack as the intake form with Ask an Expert, then we should definitely be able to see archived questions in some place as well as get some metrics around them without having to use the API.

And changing the title of a card after using it to reply shouldn’t completely break the entire process.