Is it possible to auto-create a templated Card when something changes on a Salesforce record?

• 3 September 2020
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hello Guru! Is it possible to auto-create a Guru card (using a Guru template) when something changes on a Salesforce record?
I'm curious if there is a way to automate a "new merchant onboarding" Guru card after an Opportunity field in Salesforce is updated to closed won. Appreciate any insights!

13 replies

Awesome idea! I'm going to loop in someone on our team to weigh in here, stay tuned.
Curious if anyone else here has tried to something similar..
Userlevel 1
Hi @kfretz! We don't have a way to catch the change in Salesforce on our side. If you use something like Zapier or Workato, I expect they'd be able to detect the change in Salesforce. Then it's just 1 or 2 API calls to Guru to make the card.
This is the API call to create a Guru card. To use a template, there'd be another API call first to load the template. I don't have documentation on the template API handy, but if it'd help I can track that down!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Yes! if you don't mind tracking that down I'd love to consider this possible workflow. Thanks so much
Userlevel 1
@kfretz here's information about the API call to load a list of templates: https://app.getguru.com/card/ikdnaknT/Get-a-list-of-Card-Templates
Our API also lets you search for templates by name — I didn't include that because that feels less important for an automated solution and is just something our UI would use, but if that'd help lemme know and I can add those details too!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Appreciate the follow up, Rob!
Userlevel 2
An alternative SFDC event triggering tool that I would recommend would be tray.io. Although we don't use it for this exact purpose, we do use it to capture other Salesforce event changes and push notifications to Slack, etc.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Ok good to know - i've heard of Tray but haven't used it before
Userlevel 2
Badge
@rmiller thanks for the link to the templates info. I saw no mention of templates on the Developer site which makes me wonder what else I don't know about. If you were new to Guru and learning about any/all things API related where would you suggest I look if everything to know isn't contained on developer.getguru.com?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I've also stumbled in api.getguru.com and now thanks to your link I am aware that some info resides on app.getguru.com.
Copying in @mhouston, who's best to share more on this @donovan. Thanks for raising!
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi @donovan - We are in the process of updating our developer.getguru.com to included more endpoints and use cases. We are still in our "v1" of seeing what cool things are customers are building and are happy to help provide documentation for specific use cases when possible. Happy to chat with you about what types of integrations or workflows you are trying to create.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks @chrisanderson and @mhouston for this. I'm mainly poking around right now, exploring. I'm bringing Team Stats into our Guru Taskforce channel weekly via a Zap. I've also learned how to add cards to a particular Collection/Board from Drafts, my text editor, which is quite handy. Will keep playing, seeking out documentation/examples, and asking here in this channel as questions arise.