Subscribe to Cards to get notifications for when Card is updated

Related products: Card Creation Knowledge Management Tools

This may have been mentioned before, but a common ask by my users is to be able to subscribe to card updates and get notified when something is changed. These users would not be card verifiers, just people on the team that want to be notified of changes. Maybe have an option in addition to 'Save' and 'Save and Verify', something like 'Save and Verify and Notify'

Bonus points for the ability to subscribe a group to card updated notifications (and maybe even card creations on a board/board group). Double bonus points if users could create groups for this ad hoc within a collection without needing to be funneled through requests to the admin.
I love this idea - similar to Atlassian Confluence's "watch" function - and I 💯 agree that the option to follow/be notified should be up to the user, not the Guru admin!

One less thing for me to deal with in my admin duties 😂
If there's one thing I could not have to deal with inside Guru, it's admin stuff
Group administration in general is probably my biggest gripe with Guru as an admin! So. Many. Clicks.
++ to all this! Happy to be interviewed too :slightlysmilingface:
:heavyplussign: from me too!
The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

Hey there! Steph from the Guru PM team here!

Thank you all for your insights! I'm going to leave this post in "Open" status as we don't currently have plans to prioritize implementing this in our current roadmap. We so appreciate your input, votes, and volunteering to participate in research and we’ll keep this post updated with our plans.

Bubbling this back up! We have had requests for a card subscription feature here at Dataiku too.

Yes! Subscribing to a card would be great, as would subscribing to a collection to be notified of when a new card has been created within the collection.

100% agree this needs to be a feature

Upvoting this! After implementing Guru, one of the biggest points of feedback I got from my team is that they wish they could have visibility into when a card gets updated. 

Adding an update to this - one of my Guru users mentioned it’d be great to see recently updated Guru cards as like a RSS feed, similar to what we have for New Guru cards. We’re going to try and use a Zapier → Slack channel feed workaround for now, but worth considering as a supplementary feature of this feature suggestion.

Big upvote! We recently surveyed our users, and learning about new cards and updates was the lowest rated aspect of Guru usability. I’ve also had a growing trend of users requesting feature enhancements around this (tallied at ~35 users).

Revision history is great for checking the updates within a card, but right now, other than favorites, it’s really difficult to understand which cards have recently been updated. 

Feature suggestions around this topic:

• Especially love the idea of subscribing to notifications about new cards/card edits for a collection, board group, board, or card for updates!
  • Also wish for the ability to filter results by most recently published, most recently updated, etc.
  • A note at the top (maybe next to the collection/board) on a card which shows the last edit date and user
    • yes you can check this in details, but this would serve as more of a flag of IF you should check details
    • if I see the last edit was 6 mo ago, I’m not going to bother checking details and revision history. But if I see it was 2 days ago, I’m for sure going to click it to expand and check specific changes!

We have this need here at Miro as well! I would also like to add to this request that our teams would like to subscribe to certain Authors or Tags, so that for example if a new card is created that contains a feature tag I am interested in I would be notified of that card being created!

Hi @brookethebatman, @Amelia Altstadt, @laurena, @Lindsay Dandy​, ​@Andrew Sell, @Grace Taylor, @Mackenzie Jackson, @Lisa Thompson, @Sara Davatelis, and @Jordan Pedraza,  

@Kate Staaf and I have begun looking into a topic that relates to some of the feedback shared on this thread - how you and your teams keep up with changing information in Guru. We would love your input on this so please check out the other post and let us know what you think.

Thank you!!

Hey!

Having this feature in Guru would be great for us! We come from Confluence which gave employees the choice whether they want to know the content has changed, or not. Something similar would be perfect! It is really missed at the moment. 

Can't wait to read any updates! I will post some feedback on the related topic

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to let you know that we have begun work on the adding the ability to follow a card and based on that I will be changing this post’s status to “Scheduled.” Thank you so much for the feedback you’ve shared here and in other channels, and for voting on this post to let us know how important this is to you. We agree this will be helpful for knowledge consumers and managers who want to keep up to date with changing information so we’re looking forward to delivering this to you soon! 

While this may change as we go along, at the moment we are looking to include the following with this enhancement:

• a “Follow” button on all cards
  • during the publish flow for existing cards an author/editor can choose to notify followers of the changes they’ve made to the card
  • if the author/editor wants followers to be notified, followers of the card will get a notification in the channel they’ve set for notifications from Guru (email, Slack, or MS Teams) 
  • followers can unfollow any cards they’ve previously followed
  • information about how many followers a card has will be available in the Details section of a card

I’ll make sure to provide updates as this project progresses. Please let me know if you have questions or thoughts!

Laura

OpenScheduled

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to let you know that we have begun work on the adding the ability to follow a card and based on that I will be changing this post’s status to “Scheduled.” Thank you so much for the feedback you’ve shared here and in other channels, and for voting on this post to let us know how important this is to you. We agree this will be helpful for knowledge consumers and managers who want to keep up to date with changing information so we’re looking forward to delivering this to you soon! 

While this may change as we go along, at the moment we are looking to include the following with this enhancement:

• a “Follow” button on all cards
  • during the publish flow for existing cards an author/editor can choose to notify followers of the changes they’ve made to the card
  • if the author/editor wants followers to be notified, followers of the card will get a notification in the channel they’ve set for notifications from Guru (email, Slack, or MS Teams) 
  • followers can unfollow any cards they’ve previously followed
  • information about how many followers a card has will be available in the Details section of a card

I’ll make sure to provide updates as this project progresses. Please let me know if you have questions or thoughts!

Laura

Hey @Laura Desmond-Black

That is great news! 

Do you maybe have a (rough) timeline for the implementation? 

Looking forward to your reply! Have a nice weekend. 

Laura

Hi @Laura Frencken

Good question 🙂 I expect the work outlined above to take weeks, not months. Our aim is to have this first version out this fall, ideally sometime in/around November. 

Hey @Laura Desmond-Black

I have an suggestion to make this new new feature even better! 

If the author/editor wants followers to be notified, followers of the card will get a notification in the channel they’ve set for notifications from Guru (email, Slack, or MS Teams)  

to addition to that it would be great if the editor can let everyone who follows the card know exactly what has changed. So a quick and small note in addition to the notification itself. 

This gives the notified people an extra help to see what is new or changed. This can be particularly very helpful with larger cards. 

In our case we would like to notify if there has been different kind of changes. For example we change:

• Just the lay-out to make it more consisted of readable to the rest of Guru's content.
  • The proces (instruction) itself. This requires employees to pay extra attention to (particular) steps within the Card.
  • The customer communication. Which means they don't need to read the whole card to see what is new. We for example only put customer communication below every instruction.

I know everyone can see the Revision History but a small note with an notification would be a great extra! 

Great suggestion @Laura Frencken, this came up several times in our research; we agree that a short summary of the changes would be valuable for readers. While it won’t be in the first version outlined above, I’m quite confident we’ll add it in a future update. One that happens not too long after the first version is released :-)

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, earlier today we released the ability to follow a Card 🎉. You can find all the details of how this works in the new Help Center article.

We hope this improvement makes Guru easier to use and more valuable to your team. I’ll leave this post open for a few days in case there are any questions. If you have a suggestion for how we could improve this new functionality, or you’d like to be able to follow other types of items in Guru, I’d love to see those as new feedback posts so we can keep track of interest and take those thoughts into consideration in the future. 

Thank you! 

ScheduledComplete