Release Note

Update Employee Profiles Automatically: New HRIS Sync

Related products: User Management Apps and Integrations Guru Administration
Update Employee Profiles Automatically: New HRIS Sync

Hi community,

As part of today’s release of employee profiles, we’re introducing the ability to sync your Guru employee profiles with the information stored in your company’s HRIS (Human Resources Information System). This integration allows admins to stay hands off while keeping employee profiles up to date, and leverage the up-to-date, approved information that’s already stored in the HRIS. You can take this information and finally make it usable to your employees, by bringing it from your HRIS into your team’s Guru instance where it can be searched, seen, and understood by your team. 

Guru uses these synced data fields from your HRIS to populate profiles: User name, profile picture, job title, team, work location, start date, manager. Sensitive information like employee payment and salary data, SSN, etc will not be synced.

Fields synced from an HRIS will overwrite any information that’s been manually entered into their employee profile by a Guru user (except for name, which is always editable). You’ll need to have admin access to the HRIS to set up this sync. Read more about how to set up an HRIS sync in the help center.

NOTE: HRIS sync is available on Builder plans and above. HRIS sync is not used to provision users, only to sync specific fields in profiles.

Hi All,

This is an exciting enhancement! Regarding “Team” information - which field would this pull from Workday and how would that be mapped to Guru? Before we turn this feature on we’d like to ensure it will not override our Guru Group configuration. 

Is the ability to select/limit fields as part of this sync on the radar?

Thanks!

Abbey

Hi @Abbey Florence, so glad to hear you’re excited about HRIS syncing! The “Team” field maps to a user’s “Job Family” in Workday. Once you enable the Workday sync, users will see this “Team” field on their Guru profile automatically filled out with their “Job Family” from Workday.

Information synced from Workday, including “Team”, will not have any impact on users’ Groups in Guru.

We don’t currently support selecting or limiting fields as part of HRIS syncing, but we’ve heard interest from a few folks! If you’re up for it, you could create a Product Feedback post so other folks in the Community can voice their support for that enhancement. We are always looking to the Community when building out our roadmap!

Hope that helps you and your team get your HRIS sync up and running. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or feedback.

hi @Nicole Obst thanks for letting us know. Are we able to run Guru reports directly from this information? For example once we input all employee profiles from HRIS, I would like to team usage by Manager.

Hi @Linda Moore, I’m jumping in for @Nicole Obst since she’s out of the office for a few days.

Employee profile information is not yet available in our reporting and analytics functionality, but we’ve heard some interest in this capability. If you want to share more details about what you and your team are looking for, or how you hope that would work, you could create a Product Feedback post.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions while exploring Employee Profiles and HRIS syncs.

We turned this feature on and were really excited to use it, but had to turn off the integration because it was pulling the Position field in Workday which we have detailing specific compensation level information that shouldn’t be available to everyone. Now we have to find a way to reverse this data which is a little frustrating. We want to use this, but need the ability to point to the Business Title in Workday instead before we do anything.

Correction - It is pulling the Job Profile, not the position field. We still need it to pull the Business Title.

Hi @Jeff Michaelis we’ve been delayed in setting this up ourselves, but your comment made me hard stop. Is the HRIS sync pulling Job Profile from Workday and using that to populate the Job Title in Guru? Oofa that will not work for us.

As I side note, I’ve reviewed the Help Center documentation (which lists the fields that will be populated in Guru) and the Merge documentation (which lists the Workday fields that are needed for the sync), but still do not see an explanation of the field relationships (which field populates which field). @Nicole Obst is Guru working on a mapping diagram or documentation, or perhaps have I just not found it yet? That would be so helpful for us, especially in our conversations with our Workday team.

@Abbey Florence Yes, The HRIS sync is pulling the Job Profile from Workday into the Job Title field in Guru. It was not expected for us and now we are working on a way to change all of our users back to what their job title should be.

Wow. Thanks, @Jeff Michaelis for the info (i.e. warning)!

@Abbey Florence You bet.

@Nicole Obst @Brad Turner We would love to be able to remap this particular field so we can use this in the future.

Hi @Jeff Michaelis, thanks for sharing your feedback and flagging that the data from Workday doesn’t come through in the way you expect. Your request to remap that field makes sense to me.

While I can’t make any promises about future improvements, I just wanted to acknowledge that we hear your feedback.

@Abbey Florence, it sounds like you’ll be holding off on connecting Workday until this mapping is updated, but we can still work on getting a full list of how fields from Workday map to the profile fields in Guru. I’ll report back here with any updates.

If either of you have additional feedback about Workday, we have a Workday-specific Product Feedback post collecting comments and upvotes here. For users of other HRIS platforms, feel free to share feedback here or create a dedicated Product Feedback post with your comments. Thank you both for your questions and feedback so far!

Hi @Brad Turner. Wanted to circle back to this topic. I was sent this Workday field mapping which actually indicates that the “Job Title” field in Guru is pulling the “Position Title” information from Workday. The only field that appears to reference Workday “Job Profile” is “Team” based on the Guru table.

Would you be able to confirm how “Job Title” is pulling from the Workday HRIS sync? We’re anxious to turn this on, but are wary because of the experience @Jeff Michaelis reported. 

Thanks!

Hey everyone! 👋 Great news. The HRIS sync feature now has the capability to manually map the 'Job Title' to a field of your choice, allowing you to select the most suitable option. From the HRIS Syncs page within Settings, click Edit sync, then click Map fields. From the interface, you’ll select the field in your HRIS platform that you'd like to map to "job_title" in Guru. Click Save mappings and Finish Setup to save your changes. Thanks again for sharing this feedback with our product team.