Changing Card title updates links on other Cards

Related products: Card Creation

Surely it's been requested before, but it would be so helpful if, when we changed the title of a Card, the links on other Cards that directly referenced that name changed automatically as well. Alternatively, if there was a way to find a list of all the cards on which a specific card is linked, it would help us do this manually a little easier.

Find + Replace / Update is an universal thing that would be amazing for all kinds of scenarios like the above! Especially if you need to replace the name of something across Guru

Hi all!

I'm Sandy, the product manager for card creation and editing functionality. 

I appreciate your input and votes. Since we don't have plans to prioritize implementing this, I'm going to leave this post in "Open" status. That way, we can keep gathering input from other users and see how common this. I’ll revisit this post again when we’re ready to evaluate which enhancements to slot into our roadmap.

@Ross Early I know you’d find this helpful! Give it an upvote if you agree :grin:

This will be a feature from Notion that I didn’t know I’d miss. 

Must have! Please implement this.

Bumping this! If the titles of linked cards would automatically update when the source titles are changed, that would be super helpful for us. I see Sandy is no longer on the Guru team, so hoping this can get a nudge over to whomever took over!  

@Reba Mitchell I’m sorry I didn’t catch this sooner, but the good news is, we’ve released a couple of updates since this feedback was first posted and I think we can close this now. Here’s the scoop! 💫

When using Guru’s Card linking feature (the Guru “G” icon) to insert a link to a Card, when the linked Card’s title is updated, it will update automatically where it is linked. If the link doesn’t reflect the new Card title right away, try refreshing the webpage. However, if the link to the Card was added using hyperlinked text or the text was modified in any way, the linked text will need to be manually updated. Guru is erring on the side of caution with manually edited text, assuming it should not be overwritten.

It’s now easier to see which Cards are linked to the one being edited, too. From Card Details, navigate to “Cards that link to this Card”. This list will show exactly where that Card is linked out for quick title proofing.

If this hasn’t been your experience with Guru’s Card linking feature, please do let me know! I’ll connect you with Support so that we can troubleshoot an example with your team. 🔍

Thanks @Marie Frei! I’ve been running into some trouble where the link I copy and put into the card is not updated to the current title. But I’ll play around with it some more and contact support with a screen recording next time it comes up. Thanks! 

OpenComplete

CompleteOpen

Hi @Reba Mitchell, my mistake here! What you reported with the Card title in the hyperlink not updating is the expected behavior in the new Card editor. While viewing the Card Details of the Card with the updated title, we can reference the Cards that link to this Card tab to know which Cards will need edit of the linked Card’s title text. 

As a next step, I’m going to update our help center article on the topic. I’ve also re-opened this feedback post, since it represents the feature request to see Card titles in Guru Card hyperlinks update automatically. Let us know if you have any questions! And, again, I’m really sorry for sharing the incorrect information in my last post.

Is there any plans to change this expected behavior? We often have cards that link to many cards and so going into each and updating can be time consuming. Thank you!

+1 for updating the linked Guru card naming. Love the link feature and this would make sweeping updates a breeze across Guru!